- John has over 30 years horticultural industry experience. He studied horticulture at UQ Agricultural College at Gatton, and landscape architecture at QUT.
- Currently: National R&D Manager for Enviroganics. Prior to this John worked for Scotts Australia for 11 years in various managerial roles, covering Queensland, Northern NSW, Northern Territory and Pacific Islands.
- Previously, over ten years, John was first Superintendent, then Parks District Manager for Brisbane City Parks and Recreation. His role was, in over 80 parks, to oversee maintenance, capital works and floral displays and he was responsible for the refurbishment of various plant collections in parks such as New Farm Park, Newstead and Brisbane City Botanic Gardens.
- John has presented garden programmes with ABC and 4BC radio; TV programs such as Creek to Coast Ch 7, and more recently a TV commercial on Ch 10, encouraging water wise practices.
- He is a regular garden judge, writes for newspapers and garden magazines and has spoken at various garden expos and garden groups. John consults on water wise gardening, horticultural techniques, plant nutrition, retail market trends, and broad-acre horticulture.
- He has been actively involved, and held executive positions with HMA (foundation member), NGIQ, Derm, CLH – Centre Lifestyle Horticulture, export committee and water management groups, MAIH, MPLA – Parks and Leisure Australia, NIPA – National Indoor Plantscape Association, QROC – Qld Reuse Organics Corp.
- On his extensive travels visiting botanic and private gardens, both nationally and internationally, John has promoted the International Seed Exchange Program.