Tohm’s career in horticulture officially started with his completion of a diploma course at the VCAH at Burnley in 1988 although his hands on experience started at the ripe old age of 6 while helping his father in the family garden.
Tohm’s career has been varied over the years and includes:
- Working as a gardener in Melbourne, London and more recently on the Sunshine Coast
- Completing a design degree at Melbourne’s RMIT in 1992.
- Working as a practicing artist for over 10 years
- Running his own landscaping business for 6 years, specialising in design and consultations as well as landscape construction.
- Design and project management of the Sunshine Coast Council display garden at the 2011 Home Garden Expo
- Designer and co-ordinator for construction of the Giant Kitchen Garden at the Queensland Garden Expo since 2013
- Management of voluntary community ‘landscape rescue’ project
- Presentation of informative talks at The Queensland Garden Expo and various garden clubs
- Contributor of landscaping and plant articles for several local press publications (Sunshine Coast)
- Regular Contributor to HMAQ’s Plant Clinic at the Nambour Home Garden Expo
- International Tropical Foliage and Garden Society Inc.
- Toastmasters International
Life Outside Horticulture
Is there such a thing?
Tohm has been involve in art and furniture design and construction using reclaimed material since 1990. Minimising waste, reusing materials and thinking laterally are his driving force. Most of the materials used in the Giant Kitchen Garden are salvaged on their way to landfill.
Tohm also makes some pretty mean wines out of locally available fruits.